Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Ten on Tuesday (Our Thanksgiving Traditions)

1.) Macy's Thanksgiving Parade: For as long as I can remember I have enjoyed watching this annual parade in my pjs on Thanksgiving morning. It's a perfect start to a day of non-stop activities. I hope that we have a little time to cuddle in bed and watch at least the first half of the parade before I have to jump up and get a move on. Nowadays, I usually catch glimpses of the parade between shuffling dishes in and out of the oven and trips to the bathroom to put the finishing touches on my makeup and hair.



2.) My Squash Casserole: This has been a family favorite for years and is always one of the first dishes to disappear. I've tried many incarnations of this recipe over the years, but have finally decided that Paula Deen's version is my favorite and has been my go to recipe for the past few years with a few of my own tweaks here and there.



3.) My Sister's Deviled Eggs and "Green Stuff": The deviled eggs need no explanation, but the "Green Stuff" (aka Watergate Salad) probably has left you a bit perplexed and probably does not sound all that appetizing. Nevertheless, it is pretty tasty and simple to whip up: Jello Pistachio pudding, Cool Whip, mini marshmallows, pecans and pineapple. It's considered a salad but sweet enough to be a dessert.



4.) Naps: The tryptophan of the turkey combined with several glasses of wine and we are all ready retreat into the den for a post-meal cat nap.

5.) Board Games: We are a competitive, game loving family and always crack out a few board games later in the day after everyone has recovered from our food induced coma. Family favorites include: Scattergories, Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit. I hold the title of undefeated champion all ALL board games for the past decade and don't expect to lose my title anytime soon:)


6.) Left-overs: This is my favorite part of the whole day. Everybody knows casseroles taste better the second time around, and I've worked up quite an appetite after winning all those games.

7.) Movie night: After everything has quieted down, it's now time to pop in a flick, and everybody cuddles up in their favorite chair. We always pick kid-friendly movies that even the adults can enjoy. It's also the perfect time to dig into dessert and coffee.

8.) Black Friday: Waking up way before the crack of dawn, not showering, and heading out to face the masses in attire that is only a slight step up from my pajamas...FUN TIMES!!! Capping off our shopping adventure with an early breakfast and then heading home to nap away the rest of the afternoon.

9.) The Christmas decorations come out, and we decorate the main tree together. I also have Bubba's "Georgia Tree" to decorate, but I save that for the following week.

10.) The Christmas season has officially begun:)

2 comments:

  1. My MIL loves that "Green Stuff". I think it is disgusting but she loves it! We also call it Green stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pin and your list! It is my dream to one day watch the Macy parade one day. You are so lucky to be able to watch it!

    I am actually sharing some very summery pins at my weekly Pinterest party. If you have 5 minutes please pop by and have a look. I would be thrilled if you could join in and link up your Pinterest post too!

    Best wishes and I hope you have a truly wonderful Thanksgiving! Have a big serving of that casserole for me!

    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete