Saturday, September 17, 2011

ROLL, WAR, DAWGS....

You've probably heard the statement "A House Divided" in reference to college football team allegiances. Well, in my family that is an understatement to say the least. This Alabama-born girl and her Georgia hubby are diehard UGA fans; my sister and her husband are both Auburn alumni; my mother is on the fence between University of Alabama and Auburn because she attended both; my Daddy is a graduate of both the University of Georgia and Georgia Tech; both my brother in-laws are also UGA alumni; and my in-laws are hardcore Georgia fans (my father in-law is not known by "Bulldawg John" for nothing). I'm definitely the odd-ball out amongst most of my childhood/college friends considering I'm from 'Bama and have pledged my allegiance to the Bulldog Nation. Saturday SEC football isn't just a tradition for us. It is a way of life!!! My husband played high school and then college football at Jacksonville State University and later spent several years in coaching. His love for the game is infectious, and this former football challenged girl has become as savvy as the most die-hard fan. If we aren't at the game, you can bet your sweet stars we will be parked in front of the TV from the first kick-off of the day until Sportscenter's game day highlights at almost midnight. Like all good Southern Sweethearts, I know football and good food go hand in hand. So during football Saturdays I'll be sharing the recipe for whatever football grub I'm serving up that day. Today, I'm going to break out the old crock-pot (a perfect appliance for game days b/c I don't have to slave over the stove while all the action is happening in the TV room). I'll be making a big batch of my mom's famous Italian Tortellini Soup. And if you are aware of my mom's lack of cooking prowess and distaste for the kitchen in general, then using the words "my mom's famous (insert any dish)" is a rare bird, indeed. Luckily, it's one of the few dishes in her repertoire that's delicious and super easy to whip up:)

                                                      Italian Tortellini Soup
Ingredients:
1 (32 oz.) carton of beef broth
2 cans (14.5 oz.) Italian style stewed tomatoes (undrained)
2 cans (14.5 oz) Italian Green Beans (drained)
1 lb. of ground beef (cooked and drained)
1/2 lb. mild Italian-style sausage (also crumbled, cooked, and drained)
Several dashes of dry Italian seasoning, Garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. Cheese Tortellini ( I use Buitoni's 3 Cheese from the refrigerated section)
Shredded parmesan for topping

Directions:
Add all ingredients to the crockpot up to the tortellini and stir. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours.
You can add 3/4 cup of water or beef  broth if soup looks too thick before adding the pasta.
1/2 hour before serving add the tortellini and cook until the pasta is done.
Top each individual serving with shredded parmesan and serve with garlic bread.

                                                                           

1 comment: