Monday, October 24, 2011

Don't Call it Powder Puff Football...

For several years now, I have been participating in an all-girls Fantasy Football League. There was a time when a Saturday full of SEC football was enough sports for this gal, but now I'm just as excited for Sunday and Monday Night NFL. This all-girls league is no joke. We are all ultra-competitive and could easily compete with any boys' league hands down. Before my fantasy football days, I only watched NFL once a year at my sister's annual Super Bowl party. I couldn't have even told you the two teams competing for the title that year until I walked in the door. Besides I was not there for the football. It was all about the delicious food and creative cocktails....and the commercials, of course. Oh, how times have changed. I am now familiar with every team, the quarterbacks, top running backs, receivers, and tight ends. I follow injury reports with an eagle's eye. I stand at the ready to swoop in and pick up a player off the waiver wire the minute news hints that a back-up player is moving to a starting position. I love to find the "sleeper" in the bunch. Draft night has become a tradition at my house. I make snacks, open up a bottle of pink champagne, and settle in for a fast-paced night of fun. My sports fanatic of a husband has his opinions on who I should pick, but I've learned long ago to follow my own intuition. Am I any good? Yep, I'm always running at the top of the pack. Last year my team, Georgia Peach Fuzz, had a 12-0 record.
Of course, bragging rights are great and all, but this year we pitched in, and the champion and runner-up will receive Amazon gift cards. We're also giving a prize to the best "smack" talker. There are about 3 of us in the running for that title...the Diva and her best friend included. Speaking of best friends...playing anything against my oldest and dearest friend brings out my most competitive side. We have always relished beating each other in anything game related which makes Fantasy Football all the more enjoyable. We're mid-season and I'm running at # 2. I'm pretty certain the FUZZ will make it into the winner's bracket play-off (I always do) and have a chance at the championship...and hopefully, that Amazon gift card and bragging rights for a whole year!!!
In other football related news, I was reading one of my favorite blogs this weekend, Blue-Eyed Bride, and learned of a fabulous book that I must get my hands on: Gridiron Belles: A Guide to Saturdays in Dixie by Christie Leigh Mueller. It's a primer on all things football related in the South (teams, stadiums, tailgaiting, etc). I'll definitely buy a copy for myself and pick up a few additional books to give as Christmas gifts to all my SEC loving gal pals.

No comments:

Post a Comment