Monday, December 12, 2011

A Day Away...Weekend Recap

Friday evening Britton had his first "slumber party" at Grandma and Granddaddy's house. Bubba and I took full advantage of our free evening and headed to Decatur for one of our first date nights in a very long time. The whole evening was so lovely. Although, I would NEVER change the wonderful life I have now, it was fun to relive a bit of our footloose and fancy free days before baby. We strolled hand in hand, we sat way too close to each other at the restaurant, and we kissed several times under the twinkling lights of the square...yes, we were THAT couple who were so swept up in each other that we were oblivious to the world around us and PDA abounded. I usually hate that couple. I'm sure I roll my eyes and whisper under my breath "Take it home", but please forgive us for forgetting for one night that we are an "old" married couple. We've been together for twelve years and the last year has certainly brought about huge changes in the dynamic of our marriage as having a child always does.


 We had an early supper at No. 246, a newish Italian Trattoria right off the square. I must give props to the mixologist/bartender for creating some amazingly delicious and creative seasonal cocktails that started our meal off with a bang.


We decided to share a little bit of everything: a trio of toast with assorted spreads (pork rillett, ricotta with preserved lemon, and cannellini beans with chilies), one of their famous meatballs in San Marzano tomato sauce, frito misto with baby octopus and fried green tomatoes, spaghetti with Georgia shrimp, garlic, and crispy breadcrumbs, and the butternut squash agnolotti. Everything was so delicious!!!


\

Just when I thought I could not stomach one more bite, our waitress conned us into trying one of their homemade ice creams in a warm waffle cone...ummm, yes, please:) The pumpkin pie ice cream with pumpkin seed brittle was a decadently perfect ending to a wonderful meal.
 Luckily, Decatur is one of the most pedestrian friendly cities around because Bubba and I definitely needed a post-dinner stroll to walk off a few of the billion calories we had just consumed. Decatur is such a fun, lively city and was bathed in holiday lights and decorations. Because it is the holiday season, many of the cute boutiques flanking the square are staying open later so I got to run into a few of my favorite shops and pick up a few odds and ends. Of course, I could not go home without picking up a little something for my sweet boy. We made a beeline over to The Little Shop of Stories, an adorable independent children's bookstore, to see if it was still open.


The store was still jumping with kiddos and their weary parents at eight o'clock, so I was able to pick up Britton a few precious books for his birthday. I went ahead and got them wrapped so I would not be tempted to give them to him early. We were still not quite ready to head home, so we walked down the street to one of our favorite haunts, Leon's Full Service, that we had not visited since before my pregnancy. It was really chilly outside, but we were bundled up like Eskimos and decided to forgo the loud, busy interior and opted to sit outside in the patio area with our nightcaps. The patio fronts the sidewalk and is a prime people watching spot. Although, it was so nice having "adult" time together, it is funny how all conversations led back to our little missing link. I mean what else are parents suppose to talk about???
Me: Do you miss Britton?
Bubba: Yeah
Me: I miss him, too, but I'm having a lot of fun just being here with you.
Bubba: Me, too.
Me: Well, now I feel guilty. Does it make me a horrible mother that I only miss him a little?
Bubba: Uh, no, you've only been away from him for like 4 hours.
Me: Do you think he misses me? Let's call Mom and see what he is doing.....
Well, obviously you get my point. Being that this was going to be our first full baby-free night together , we headed home early to enjoy some cuddle time on the couch while we watched a few movies. The best part was that we both got to sleep in soooo late before heading back to our little guy. After one evening away, we were both missing Britton like crazy, but Grandma said he did a-okay without us for the night. I'm thinking 2012 will bring quite a few more "slumber parties" at his grandparent's house since Britton did so well:)
I almost did not know what to do with myself on Saturday considering this was the first football-free weekend in months. Luckily, we had plenty of decorating to do to fill the void in our schedule formerly occupied by hours of football watching . While I was way ahead of the game on present shopping this year and had almost everything bought by Thanksgiving, I have been super behind on finishing up the decorating. We already had the colorful "kid's" tree up in the den, Bubba's Georgia Bulldog Tree in the hall, but we had yet to start on the fancy tree for the living room. The remainder of Saturday flew by, and I still had not finished decorating, so I obviously would have to spend Sunday afternoon finishing up all my projects and watching some NFL football....the NCAA may be finished with their regular season, but luckily there are weeks of NFL football left:)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a nice evening.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and linking up with the blog hop. I am now following you back.

    http://babyfeetandpuppybreath.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete